Through the Gate
Purpose of the Drill:
This drill helps players improve ball handing, their reflexes, and their trickery.
How it Works:
- Set up two gates (gate width and distance from gates to suit your sport).
- One player guards each gate. Players take it, in turn, to pass/shoot the ball through the opposite player’s gate.
- The defending player must stop, control and take possession of the ball within one meter of initial contact with the ball.
- If the defending player allows the ball to go through the gate, or cannot take control of the ball within 1 metre of making contact with the ball, the attacking player is awarded a point.
- If the ball travels over the player’s head or outside of the gate, the attacking player’s attempt is declared a dead ball and no points are awarded.
- Players take it, in turn, to attack and defend.
- The first player to 3 points is declared the winner.
- Defending players should watch for body movements that give an indication of shot direction.
- Defending players should watch the ball all the way into their possession.
- Defending players should have weight on their toes, in a position ready to move and react quickly.
[gamipress_button label=”CLICK TO DOWNLOAD DRILL” onclick=”window.open(‘https://coachesguild.net/through-the-gate-4/’)”]
If you have any questions or comments on this drill, please post them in the question and comment section at the bottom of this page.